Forget about pecan pie. You heard me. Tonight I tried to recreate something a caterer had brought into work recently. It was walnut pie with chocolate crust. I am a pie freak and it was one of the best I've ever eaten. So I've been thinking I need to try and make it for Thanksgiving and tonight was the test run. It came out pretty good if I say so myself.
I started with the Better Homes & Gardens cookbook pecan pie recipe and made a few adjustments as follows.
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- dash salt
- 1 cup corn syrup (the recipe called for dark, I used light, it's fine)
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 (rounded) cup walnut halves (I used English walnuts - I think black walnuts would be interesting)
- 1 Oreo crust (or chocolate graham cracker crust)
- 1 tsp maple flavoring (instead of vanilla)
- ½ cup shredded coconut (optional, but then use a flat 1 cup of walnuts)